Forums » 2009 » Housekeeping

Messages for Housekeeping

Comment Posted by jones Aug 24, 2009 09:30 AM

Hello all, I missed the first weekend, so it was great to be back, great to see everyone!

I have mixed feelings about how much something like a flag league can be missed...It's a great thing to have something to compete in, but is it a little sad to be thinking about it constantly months before kickoff? I say no, which leads to this post...

Green is having a tough time fielding a team. As a player on teams in the past that have had the same struggles, I think it important we are all aware of this. The league cannot afford to lose another team. As we would be down to 10, teams absorbing players from green is more unlikley than in a normal season; there is no room. What happens when we lose another? More byes? Shortened season? 8 teams? Unacceptable. I foresee the divorce rate in the CT valley increasing if we start forfeiting weekends to yardwork and family gatherings. To think last year we were exploring options of expanding!

I have captained two teams that had no chance at the title, and kept the goal of a playoff bid in mind. I was 1 and 1 at that attempt. The year I took the first new green team, I flatly stated I would field a team so as not to face a smaller league. I held the opinion that I was doing a favor to league: fielding a team that was at least competive, and certainly never forfeiting. Forfeits rob teams of games, and screw up the standings; especially since PF and PA weigh heavily. We all remember when a team a few years back forfeited 3 or so games, gave wins to teams that should have earned them, and overall degraded the standing systems because some teams scored a bunch against them, got scored on a bunch by them, while some recieved the boobie win and 2 PF/0 PA. I know for a fact this disrupted the playoff standings, granted it was beyond their control at the time, but it had a great affect.

Solutions are not out of grasp. Firstly, contacts are being made to some of the players and team reps that wanted IN the league but feared being short players. Green has some veterans, most notably a functional line and could be helped in this way. Secondly, there should be no pressure from active teams on players that wish to move to green to help out and get a little more PT. If a guy wants to go, let him. We all need this to happen. If a team has excess players, maybe this could be tactfully pointed out, especially if they are unlikly to be aware of this situation.

Bottom line is that we have a great thing going here, and I dont think I am the only player who does not wish to sacrafice 1/10th of my football. (Of course we already played them so I won't be personally out a game). This past sunday I was chatting with some of the motocross guys from NY. They were in awe of what we had. Hundreds of guys showing up to compete, cheer, jeer, drink, and have a great time. They could not believe the organization and level of play, as well as the mixture of folks imbibing while families and friends attended, all while doing so in good spirit, with no fighting or ridiculous behavior (thanks to butler for avoiding them), and were outright shocked by our shaking of hands after the games(alas, some work might be needed here). It really is impressive. Let's not risk losing more.

Thanks,

jones
NE Realty #50

Comment Posted by Hoyne Aug 24, 2009 12:10 PM

well said

Comment Posted by JohnT#1 Aug 24, 2009 04:35 PM

Hey Jones,
We have plenty of guys. It's just gonna take a few weeks to get things situated seeing that we lost half our team to Reils... We will be fine. See you in the playoffs.
~John T

Comment Posted by jones Aug 24, 2009 05:05 PM

Uh... well...
I was just saying...
Disregard most of that then.

Comment Posted by huskynation Aug 25, 2009 06:48 AM

Regardless of whether green needs some juice or any other team for that matter, the points Jones makes should be pegged at the top of the board for every season. Everyone wants to win but the competition and comraderie is what really keeps people coming down. I've been trying to retire for years....probably should have.

On a similar note - it looks like there are a few poeple posting on here looking for an opprotunity to play.

Comment Posted by JSpence14 Aug 25, 2009 08:26 AM

It is cool that we can all try to help out a team in need to keep the league at a high level of play. I talked with Johnny tho Green will be fine, they made some good pickups since Sunday and will compete from what I can tell.

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com