Forums » 2011 » What Happened to the league?

Messages for What Happened to the league?

Comment Posted by falcon Oct 04, 2011 12:43 PM

Been in this league for over 10 years and never seen it this bad.. We are down to 9 teams and only 4 of them are decent. Back in the day we had 12 teams and a waiting list for teams that wanted to get in the league.. Not only are we lacking number but the quality of the teams seam to be down as well....green/gray has not lost in a year and a half..if it was 5-7 years ago they would be a middle of the pack team...They win with 4-5 talented players... Old school Reils would have beat them by 21 ....Hopefully things start to change because this was and still could be one of the best leagues in the area...

Comment Posted by Green #8 Oct 04, 2011 01:44 PM

You guys are laughable with your "middle of the pack team years ago" nonsense. Did anybody see what happened when we knew there'd be some competition lined up across from us? 22-0 to start. 30-7 at the half. Quit yapping and taking cheap shots at us while making stupid comparisons that can never be tested.

Comment Posted by TShea21 Oct 04, 2011 03:39 PM

nice to see trash talking back on the site! hopefully it can breathe some life back into this league!!! Perhaps next we revive the heckle dome, allow high stepping and end zone celebrations again and get players staying afterwards and hanging again!!!

as for comparisons there aren't any - very different teams and times. The old memories teams and Reils won multiple titles back-to-back-to-back-to-back. This league in recent years has had a lot of one time SB champs. we shall see what the rest of this year brings. Green/SS are the champs and they deserve respect - everyone else SHOULD be gunning for them...I know I am looking forward to playing them 2 more times this year!!!

Comment Posted by jdibeneditto Oct 04, 2011 08:25 PM

4 good teams? i only see 3. and to knock SS. i mean at least wait till they lose a game to knock them.

Comment Posted by 12 years since 94' Oct 05, 2011 03:54 AM

Anyone who wants to bitch about the state of the league, look in the mirror and ask what you can do to make it better. Young guys need to keep bringing in other younger guys and teams. For those of you who play in bubbles or other leagues, ask around. This league isn't run by a town, rec dept., or some other 3rd party entity. It is run by the teams and their representatives that sit at the table. You don't like the rules? Change them. 50% plus one vote at a meeting of reps does the trick. Want a whole new rule book? Same thing. Want to introduce down field blocking? Go for it. Want new officials? Do some leg work and bring a proposal...don't forget costs. Speaking of costs, we may have to cancel the "royal rumble" week the last week of the season due to lack of revenue with only 9 teams. Technically there should have been only 8 games each in the regular season. The schedule that we are using instead (which some like to question) gives every team 11 games and every team is down at the feild every week instead of sitting at home drinking milk on a bye week. If we have to cancel that week, each team still gets 10 games.

Either way, take some initiative.

Comment Posted by 12 years since 94' Oct 05, 2011 04:02 AM

One more thing...these guys that drop teams at the last minute. That is by far the biggest problem that this league has faced the last 3 or 4 years. That does more damage to the integrity of the league and causes more scheduling problems than anything. I tried to save those 3 teams that dropped this year but could not pull them together. Not sure how these things can be rectified other than requiring a deposit of maybe 50% of league dues by a date earlier in the spring/summer. And we all know how hard it is to scare up money from players...

Comment Posted by Gelso24 Oct 05, 2011 05:22 AM

Devin, I think it's time for you to retire with your delusional statements. The only way you'll ever win another championship while we're in this league is to join our team. Problem is, you would be 3rd or 4th string on Second String... so I don't think you'd see the field too much. 4-5 talented players? Give me a break. Keep trying to use the past to knock us since you don't have any ammo from the present. Like Rob said... it's up to you (and all of us) to make this league better.

Shea - like that idea of the heckle dome... was never around for it but sounds like it'd make things fun and exciting

Comment Posted by 12 years since 94' Oct 05, 2011 05:44 AM

Heckle Dome needs an actual cover again and since there is no TV down at the field, nobody is staying anymore. The TV is critical.....and Lipton wants us to stay, eat and drink. Bring the damn TV BACK !

Comment Posted by falcon Oct 05, 2011 06:42 AM

I agree the place needs a tv ....not sure what lipton is thinking not having one...maybe he really does want us out of there..

2nd string. My point is 4-5 years ago anyone that made the playoffs had a chance to win it...I believe there has been a couple teams that finished 8th that ether won the superbowl if at least played in it....not sure that is possible the last few years.. just think the league has a lot less quality teams than in years past..
Where is gem jewelry? They would be a contender?

Comment Posted by dontsleep Oct 05, 2011 08:20 AM

I like the way you make the other teams seem like their push overs or no comp! But I can remember when the champ weren't winning games either only thing is I don't remember anyone bashing them. Now yall ask were the comp doesn't seem like yall blowing teams out all around the board so it can't be that damn easy! Be fare and respectful to all who take part in this league!!! Yall the champs have the right to talk shit intil someone shuts them up keep bragging but not bashing the league. In the end what have you've done or suggested to better the LEAGUE?

Comment Posted by jbiggs Oct 05, 2011 08:24 AM

Forget the TV...how about we actually go out and find another field where we don't have to decide whether or not we want to go uphill or downhill if we win the coin toss!!! I agree with Devin that the league has definitely gone down in competetion but winning for a year and a half straight is impressive regardless. Fact is, this league started going downhill ever since we left Mt. Carmel. That was a true football environment and most Sundays people had to get kicked out before they wanted to leave. The fact that we had to go back to Lipton and beg him to let us use this awful field for another year is embarrassing. Like my boy Kevin Costner said....if you build it they will come. Well let's get another field and I gurantee you this league will improve.

Comment Posted by Green #8 Oct 05, 2011 08:59 AM

dontsleep, you're asking what we've done to "better the league"? How about improving our team to the point where we haven't been beaten in a year and a half? If I'm not mistaken, is that not one Devin is asking for others to do in order to make the league more competitive throughout?

We're not here to bash anyone, seems like we are the ones people want to bash for being on top...

Comment Posted by jbiggs Oct 05, 2011 11:04 AM

Have to agree with Green 8...if they din't join the league there would only be three decent teams out there. Don't get upset over the truth. There are four teams in this league that are guaranteed wins when the other four teams play them. The only wildcard is the Ravens but they have yet to beat one of the top teams. Forget the schedule, let's just have a four team playoff and save the rest of our Sundays for watching some real football. The 1-8, 2-7 and 3-6 playoff games will be nothing more than an ego boost for the top three teams. The 4-5 game might be worth watching but the rest will just be a waste of time. Need to get some better teams in this league to make it more competitive and like I said before, get another field that is easier for people to get to and actually looks like a "football" field and not a place to take your kids sledding.

Comment Posted by 12 years since 94' Oct 05, 2011 03:01 PM

Biggs, whoever you are, I take exception to your comments that the "other" 4 teams are just there to give the "top" 4 teams an auto-win. Nearly ever game we played last year and every game this year already we have not been rolled over. If we've lost it has been damn close. Teddy Bear Pools I'm talking about. And we haven't even had every key guy out there either. In fact, we were victims of a bad call against the current champs last year and this year we lost by 2 points. You can say what you will about what happend in any game but the only thing that speaks in the end is the final score. Having said that, if we start to turn these close games around I can tell you that we will not be an easy out in the playoffs.

As far as another field. I'm working on it. Knights of Columbus in Somers on Rt. 190...right around the corner from this field. There we will have a flat field...a facility that wants us....an outside pavillion....and cheap beers ! In fact, I am working on having some outside food, drinks, and a TV. Stay tuned. We will need some league help in preparing the field including removing an old back stop from a former softball field. OH, and there is an old "green monster" style scoreboard that can be revitalized...

all for now

Comment Posted by 12 years since 94' Oct 05, 2011 03:04 PM

OH and one more thing Biggs....you are absolutely correct in the comment that folks had to be told to leave back at Carmel....nothing touches the sideline festivities at that place !!

Comment Posted by mhebs Oct 05, 2011 05:59 PM

You can all be seated

Comment Posted by mhebs Oct 05, 2011 06:03 PM

just wrote a long post and for some reason when i went to post message it just posted that one line. It's late and I am not going to repost now but stay tuned I will chime in.

Comment Posted by Gelso24 Oct 06, 2011 09:21 AM

take it as a sign from above Hebert, not even the computer wants to hear what you have to say...

Comment Posted by Bearcats21 Oct 06, 2011 09:46 AM

22 game winning streak for you guys, that'll pretty impressive once it ends. Probably some sort of record.

Comment Posted by Green #8 Oct 06, 2011 10:34 AM

Mason is either very bold or very bad at math...I'm going with both.

Comment Posted by Bearcats21 Oct 06, 2011 10:40 AM

must be bad at math, otherwise it would seem like i predicted your streak to end after 3 more victories...

Comment Posted by Green #8 Oct 06, 2011 10:59 AM

yes, i got it...clearly you missed mine

Comment Posted by mhebs Oct 06, 2011 12:02 PM

The talent level around the league is down. It is what it is though, we can't change it now we can only finish out the season strong and move forward. I think changing where we play will be a big help. When we played in Enfield at Mt. Carmel we were in the middle of a community that supported the league. Now it's like playing MLB in Tampa, nobody goes out to the games. It just is to far off the beaten path. Rob, I would like to help in anyway with the move to the K of C in Somers. I feel we should make that place as fan friendly as possible. Because after we play we to become fans. If there are TV's, affordable beer and food, people will stay. Once people stay the heckle dome will become inevitable. I also think it wouldn't hurt to take an add out in the reminder, enfield press, or J.I. just to let people know we are looking for teams that way we could get our name out there.

As for the almighty second string.

I will say that you guys are young and very athletic. I am in my 15th year and feel old as ever. I am on my way out and you guys are on the way up. So I can't bash you like you are some bums because I am in no position too. You won it last year and are the defending champs so I tip my cap to you. Your guy said you are like 24-2 in your last 26 games or some shit? That was par for Reils course back in the day but I will get to that in a bit....The thing about it is we have had a new champ every year for the past 5 years. The difference is those teams didn't get on the site talking like they were some all time great squad, and those teams were full of great EFFL veterans. It is what you guys wish to do, it is just a bit off putting. I will say your team is one of the weakest champs I have ever seen win this league. I know we could never play the game but my Reils team would have blown the doors of you guys. You guys my not think so but I'm sure the vets from the league will say so. With that said, you are the champs and if you win it in the down years of the league then you can't be faulted for that. The lack of humility is what is eyerolled at by so many, It is ok though because every league needs a villan, and now we have you guys. I have been on that villan side for years, it will be interesting to see how you fellas handle it. You have earned the right to talk the smack and now it is the responsibility of the rest of the league to shut you guys up.

Comment Posted by Green #8 Oct 06, 2011 01:46 PM

1. "lack of humility"? "every league needs a villian"? We said nothing on this site until people took shots at us all last year and continued doing so this year. We embraced the villian role, we didn't create it. Show some respect, or better yet, let us earn it before everyone starts mouthing off, and we'll show some humility. We are in our second full year of the league and only getting better as we go...stop making comparisons to teams that were probably already established in the league and claiming 24-2 was "par for the course" for a brand new team to the league.

2. Like I just said, we didn't "get on the site talking like we were some all time great squad". We singled no one out, yet simply asked who wanted to pick against us next as it was getting old. We made no comparisons to teams from years past, that was the work of others that remain hidden behind their computer screens.

3. Your Reils team would not have blown the doors off us.

That is all.

Comment Posted by mhebs Oct 06, 2011 03:20 PM

seriously dude go back and look at some of Gelso's posts.

That is all.

Comment Posted by mhebs Oct 06, 2011 03:23 PM

Gelso august 26th

Seymour Scagnetti august 20th

Those were opening statements from your side.

Amongst others

Comment Posted by Gelso24 Oct 06, 2011 04:10 PM

damn Hebert, ever hear of sarcasm? If I knew you were so sensitive I wouldn't of mentioned your name... spence and mason and those guys know I'm joking... shit, I mean I've played WITH you guys in Hartford... relax

and the other post from whoever Seymour is... you took that to heart too? lighten up bro, it's just flag football. everyone talks about how they want the league more competitive and need more trash talking.... no need to take it so personal.

and one more thing, I think the 72 Dolphins would blow the doors off the 07 Patriots. see how stupid that sounds? enough with taking about what would happen if we played teams from however many years ago... you want to knock us talk about how I always get burned for long TD's or bryce drops open passes or how our QB overthrows/underthrows wide open wr's from time to time, hence why we don't win games by 30-40 like we always should (that was a joke incase you couldn't tell, don't want you to get upset)

Comment Posted by mhebs Oct 06, 2011 05:07 PM

easy easy fellas. I'm not taking it personal, I may have misinterpreted seymourscagnati's sarcasm though. Gelso, we do need more trash talking, that's all I am doing. I got no hate for you guys, your a good group of guys. Just so you know I have been typing all my posts while smiling, no anger, just stirring it up. I will say the league can use a villan, I think you guys should embrace it.

Who would win in a fight, Mighty mouse or superman?....Answer....Superman duh, because he is a real person, Mighty mouse is just a mouse (I thought that quote was fitting to our hypothetical talk, haha).....Name that movie.

As for the health of the league. I say we shouldn't over react about it. We got the top 4 teams and the Ravens right in that mix. Quite Storm has shown they can play and they seem determined to get better. Dont sleep on Teddy Bears and the last two teams are new but they will get it. If we add three teams next year, even if only 1 of them are studs it will put us back to where we need to be. Like I said before let's play it out and make the decisions needed to better the league going forward. I look at it like an opportunity to make it better than ever. Rob I will talk to you Sunday, I got some good ideas. Also, any other players that would like to add some ideas on bettering the future of this league I encourage it. For now the league is what it is, like last years champs this years champs will have an asterisk next to them. HAHA, couldn't help myself (Hey I'd take it).

Comment Posted by jbiggs Oct 06, 2011 05:15 PM

My work is done here....welcome back EFFL...welcome back!!!!

Comment Posted by 12 years since 94' Oct 07, 2011 08:28 AM

Hebs - I believe that quote came from Stand By Me........................so now tell me - "What the hell is Goofy, anyway?"

I suppose we should add emoticons to this board.....I'll be sure to add the "devil horns" and the guy giving another a "reach around".

jbiggs - nice work....and I like your profile photo.

Comment Posted by 12 years since 94' Oct 07, 2011 08:31 AM

This just in: As of this topic we have now matched the record number of topics set in 2009. AND we have more than doubled the amount of posts than the highest amount in the last 4 years. Congrats to the handful that have helped acheive these milestones ! And the season isn't even over yet.

"devil horns"

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com