Forums » 2011 » Moving Forward

Messages for Moving Forward

Comment Posted by brown9 Oct 10, 2011 06:37 AM

I had an oppurtunity to read all the posts that were made about the state of the league. Basically here is how it plays out. I cant disagree that the competetiveness has wained or argue that Green is making moves in this league.
Regardless of the fact that the old Reils teams were a powerhouses (which I agree) we need to look at this way.
The league is in transition for sure but that may not be a bad thing.

After being in the league for 10 years now its time to look at what is really happening.
Myself Rob and Hoyne finally got our own franchise with TeddyBearPools. Granted we arent blowing anyone out every week
but we are competing each and every week and not getting blown out. Infact both years we have been within a score of the champs. We match up well with some teams and some others we struggle. Thats football! But we have a veteran mix of guys and some youth. Most important to me is that there is stability there. We have a good leadership group and want to build a place guys can come and play young and old. That is good for the league going forward .

Same thing over with Maroon those guys have been fighting hard to get the RIGHT guys together and I believe they are on the right track. Which is again good for the league. Stability and good leaders on that team with Quam and Darnell (who has been in this league just as long as anyone)They will get better and always have good atheletes.

Ive been in the league just as long as the Spence and to see his team grow into the year long powerhouse that it has is great. Those guys grow each year and keep adding talent from all the leagues around in CT. Youth!Offense and Defense its is good for the league.

Pow: Those guys came into the league and had trouble their first year then turned into a organized super bowl winning machine. They are fast, run a good scheme and well are consistently a winning team each year and that is good for the league.

Green: Undefeated and posing all kinds of problems with their speed. They also have a few guys that have been in the league some time now. So really they are pretty balanced. Having a top dog to gun for GOOD FOR THE LEAGUE

Ravens: Excellent team with balance and a good QB. Stability here as well and they can steal some wins from those top teir teams. Good for the League!

Yellow: What more can you say with Bob Grant back there and Tim Shea behind him its the same old story
Veteran football still wins games in this league.

Replacements: Rude awakening walking into this league. But that said you do have some young players who if they continue to come back each and every year will develop and learn how to play in this league. My advice is to continue showing up and make less excuses. You have good talent use it and show up and play football

Lakeview: Listen they are a new team but no slouches. I like the fact that they are good football team. Their starting QB is out and they will still win a few more. Above average team for a new addition to our league and once they get accustomed they will be a nice middle of the pack contender that you cant sleep on .. GOOD FOR THE LEAGUE

After all this what I am saying is we really arent that far off from getting back to where this league needs to be.
All the pieces of leadership are in place and most guys running teams are guys who were role players 10 years ago
on other teams. Its time for us as the new leaders of teams to keep it this way. Competetive and consistent and get new rivalries going. The league is split between veterans and youth. If we dont keep the excitement and consistency going the league will continue a downhill slide. 9 teams or not I am excited to see how this year will shape out.
Lets continue the chatter on the site and move the league forward to make it more exciting for the players. Its up to this regime of leaders to fill the last 3 spots with QUALITY teams and change the rules accordingly to make it better.
As well as getting a damn scoreboard to make it exciting for families and spectators.

Tv's, Beer and good old fashion rivalries on sundays. Good Guys Bad guys high scores and great playoff games
those are the things that made me never stop thinking about flag football during the week.

Losing teams like Realty, Red hurt in the long run because 5 years ago Timmy Shea Quaterbacked them to a upset super bowl win ... Now thats a distant memory.

We need the consistency with teams returning and building each year. not losing teams and changing players all the time.
If we can weather this storm, get a flat field it wont be long before its a non topic.

Comment Posted by JSpence14 Oct 10, 2011 08:38 AM

Bri this is a great write up I like everything you wrote. Its very easy to point out that the leauge is not as strong as where it once was. Its another to do all you can to build it back up. I see it similar to you as well.

The Top 4- Us, Yellow, POW and 2nd String. If any 4 of those teams won the Super Bowl, I doubt anybody would be surprised.

Middle of the Pack- White, Ravens. Neither team is slouches by any means. Ravens are no joke man they have good athletes at all positions, have a strong defense and are just getting used to their new QB. They will compete in the future. White is a mix of veterans and good young talent. Scott G a good veteran QB and James running your D is always a good thing. You guys have a good core and if you stick together will definitely get better and better.

Suprise Teams- Lakeview and Quiet Storm. Lakeview is new but they have a ton of potential. They are committed and with their QB healthy will be good in the long run. We played Storm yesterday and although we scored 32...we earned every point. There Defense is much improved and they are on the up and up.

Replacements- If James is there he makes that team so much better. He definitely turned heads the first week with his ability to run the ball and also throw it deep. Maybe a couple more offensive/defensive line pickups and a few more committed players and they could definitely improve for next season.

I will be reaching out to some teams in the off season. We start Indoor in about a month and I will be on the hunt for some new athletic and good teams to add to the leagues future. Like Matty Hebs said in his post. We have to all do our part to keep the league going and bring some more teams in. Its not just Robs or the presidents responsibility. He also located the Coventry team and everybody seems to be impressed for a first year team. The move to the K of C is only the beginning. If we can move to 10-12 teams next year along with the move to K of C with the 9 teams we have now and a few new ones...we could certainly keep the league going and having enough competetive teams/games every year I think.

Comment Posted by brown9 Oct 10, 2011 09:17 AM

Well put Josh. I have to agree on all counts. Rob has a lot of pressure on him but he cares and wants to see the league suceed more than anyone. If we can get back to 12 teams we can build it back up. I want to see it flourish long after im done playing as I feel most of us do.

I always considered it the best league in CT. We need to get on par with Hartford and start keeping exact stats to make the madden generation more iterested :)
WE do it in stafford and I will help speerhead whatever improvements need to get made next year.

Comment Posted by JSpence14 Oct 10, 2011 09:28 AM

Me and Rob were talking about it and if we move to K of C we were hoping the League Dues would go down and we could add a little into the new dues to pay for a guy to take stats at the field every Sunday. It would definitely be a pretty cool addition. Hartford and Stafford are doing it and its pretty fun seeing your exact stats for your team every week. It would definitely be an addition to help attract some teams also. I would definitely be down to stay for some games to help out in taking them also.

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com