Forums » 2011 » Winter Balll

Messages for Winter Balll

Comment Posted by dougie Oct 26, 2011 05:49 PM

What's up fellas? Got to say that signing up was a kick in the reality face. They asked me for my year of birth and I had to scroll down...damn!!!

Anyway, I've been spinning some records at Chicago Sams on the weekends and been talking to some boys about getting winter ball going again. Reading some of the other posts it looks like the indoor fever has played out and the outdoor game has prevailed.

Here's the deal...we play EVERY SUNDAY from the first Sunday in December until the Sunday before Easter. Now as I understand it...the EFFL Championship is being played the first Sunday in December so we could start the following Sunday.

This is an awesome time as long as we get enough guys to play. In years (yes I said years) past, there would be 20 guys guaranteed no matter what the weather. So I am saying this...give me a call, shoot me a text, send me an email or post on this topic if you're interested. I already have atleast 10 guys who would love to play again so it shouldn't be that hard to get this going. I just want make sure that we have enough of a pool of players to get enough for a game every week.

Here are some of the conditions of the "winter league"....

Windsor High School every Sunday 10:30 - 12:30 (location seems to be a mid-point for most guys but subject to change if it makes sense)
True pick-up football (literally two captains who pick teams)
No commitment to every Sunday. Show up when you can. This is why we need enough of a pool of guys to make sure we have enough every week.
Bring your own flags if you can...we have extras but not too many.
Chance to play with different guys and play different positions.

***This is not an ultra-competetive thing although there have been some hesated games. There are some guys who are studs and some guys who are just out to run around. I of course am a major stud. I'm okay at football too!!! There are no MVP's or stats other than bragging rights over a beer or two in the parking lot. Oh, and I would love to see the twins cover one another to see who is really better!!!!

Serousily though...this was a great thing for a long time and then sort of fizzled away. Touch base with me to let me know if you're interested. Obviously this is not specific to league players so if you know someone who may be interested spread the word. Let me know what you think by either replying to this post or contacting me using the info below....

Cell 860-966-7609
email doug.semenuk@hs.utc.com

One last thing...good luck in the playoffs!!!

Comment Posted by Dassit!! Oct 26, 2011 06:44 PM

Count me in.... 860-990-3721 Jonathan

Comment Posted by 12 years since 94' Oct 27, 2011 03:08 AM

Doug - nice to see ya...EFFL Superbowl is Tgiving weekend (sunday) so first week of winterball could be the first weekend in Dec.

As I said before, I'm always down for some winter fun as long as I can get away for a few hours from the fam. I'll be hit or miss but count me in the pool. Looking forward to catching a pass or three again for a change.

-Phillips

Comment Posted by 12 years since 94' Oct 27, 2011 03:11 AM

OH - AND NOBODY TAKE THE LEAGUE FLAGS HOME TO USE IN WINTERBALL !!!

Comment Posted by Gelso24 Oct 27, 2011 05:47 AM

I'd be interested.... wouldn't be able to make it every week, but would come when I could.

and c'mon dougie, let's be honest... he has ZERO chance of covering me. his fragile body is only suited for the QB position

Comment Posted by dougie Oct 27, 2011 06:29 AM

Ok Jay...you're my first pick....

Looks like we have enough interest to get this thing going again. I have already received a bunch of calls so I am officially re-establishing winter ball. I'm not positive on the first or second Sunday in December but I will post that as we get closer.

Comment Posted by JSpence14 Oct 27, 2011 08:21 AM

Me and Doug were talking about Winterball last night actually and I let him know it seemed like everybody is interested. Im on board as well and Im sure I can get Mason, Jubrey, Loon and others from the Bearcats down there as well for some pickup ball. Winterball is a good time when I used to go it was a blast everytime, no arguing just football.

I also have flags that I can bring down to the field if we are short. It would have enough for at least 12 or so guys so if we have a few other belts we should be good to go.

And Bri vs. Jason...man tough matchup to call. I call a series at QB when this happens lol.

Comment Posted by brown9 Oct 27, 2011 09:00 AM

As someone who entered the league through winterball its a great way to learn from other players and learn how things get done on other teams. I learned alot of valuable lessons down there and am glad that we are talking about bringing it back.
Count me in for sure and some of our guys from Stafford/Teddy Bear Pools Squad will be down there as we all got too many knee injuries playing on that turf stuff.

Looking forward to potentially saying some of the old crew too, Douggie any chance we will see Dan and Jeremey down there?

Lets get it rolling.

Comment Posted by dougie Oct 27, 2011 01:53 PM

Jeremy called me today asking about it so he'll definitely be down there. Dan may get there every now and then now that he lives in western mass.
Definitely going to be good to line up with some of the vets and the new kids.
Josh...I want a series a QB too with the Gelso brothers going at it. We need to let Brian know that there is no running for the QB in winter ball so he will have to put away the Mike Vick jersey and bring the Tom brady one down...LOL

Comment Posted by 12 years since 94' Dec 01, 2011 03:48 PM

People are asking....anything for this Sunday?

Comment Posted by 12 years since 94' Dec 02, 2011 01:27 AM

It's going to be a warm non-snowy December fellas...get it while it's hot !

Comment Posted by JSpence14 Dec 02, 2011 03:51 AM

I cant do this Sunday Rob. There is a tournament I committed to awhile ago so I wont make it. My Sundays will be wide open starting next week though. I will hopefully be able to get a few of the Bearcats boys down there also for whenever we get it started.

Comment Posted by 12 years since 94' Jan 13, 2012 03:31 AM

some guys are talking about Winterball this Sunday...see Facebook page for details/organization.

Comment Posted by Hoyne Jan 19, 2012 04:31 AM

i have about 10 people confimrd for winter ball this sunday

Comment Posted by 12 years since 94' Jan 21, 2012 07:55 AM

winterball looks to be postponed to next Sunday the 29th.

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com